Friday, June 29, 2012

More Michigan





Peggy Huntington, Sandy Wertime and me in Traverse City
We trundled down to Traverse City where my friend, Sandy, lives.  It was great to catch up with her and her husband, Tom.  They took us down to "their" lake and then fed us at the barbie!


The next day, Travel Agent Peggy had arranged for us to visit Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes.  Supposedly it was voted "The most beautiful spot in America." Hmmm...it IS lovely, but THE most beautiful?  I'm just wondering who voted?  lol
Lovely Overlook
Lush Scenery
I liked the pattern on this dune
Speaking of patterns...these are quite unusual!  These are the footsteps of we  four intrepid travelers!  Chris went nd ruined it by leaving his LEFT foot!  But then, he's the only one who's in his right mind...if you get it.
We were enchanted with watching this hang glider take off in the strong winds, and then buzz the nearby watchers. 
We were at this VERY steep slope!  See the angle?  There were all kinds of signs at the top that said "Do NOT climb down to the water, as the ascent is VERY steep and could cause heart problems and other health problems."  Well duh.  WHO would want to climb UP that?  
And yet, here are people actually CRAWLING up because it is so steep and they are so exhausted!  Fools.
Just for fun, I decided to throw my favorite photo of this HUGE bumblebee just wallowing around in this flower.

After leaving Sandy and Tom in Traverse City, and leaving Peggy and Larry to make their way home alone, we trundled all the way across Michigan to the upper right tip of the mitten  to visit Jim LeDuc's cousin, Kevin LeDuc in Presque Isle.

Look HERE to see the map:  View Half Home Trip - 2012 in a larger map
I actually haven't seen him since I was first married.  So it has been almost 40 years!  (Now THAT'S hard to believe...I'm not sure I'm even OLD enough to have had something happen to me 40 years ago...)  We have kept up on Facebook, though.  That's why I LOVE my Facebook! 



We stayed in this funky, wonky, historical Presque Isle Lodge BandB.  Chris and Kevin had marvelous conversations (well, I have to admit, Chris is good at having marvelous conversations with almost everyone!), we got to meet Kevin's lovely wife, Cyndi - and her father and brother.  We had a fine dinner out, got to view the TWO historic lighthouses in Presque Isle and had a lovely breakfast at the BandB.  It was a short, but rewarding stop over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment