Friday, June 29, 2012

Still Michigan and a bit of Ohio


After Presque Isle, we hightailed it back across the state to visit Chris' friend, Dick Brown Dick was a colleague, and part-time room mate when they were both teaching in Brazil 1974-77, and actually hadn't seen each other SINCE!  They have a lovely home on the farm that belongs to his wife's family.  We saw lots of birds, though most of them wouldn't sit still enough for me to take their photos.  I DO have a couple of photos of their farm and a bluebird I remember, but they are on my camera's internal memory, and I don't have the cord connection to my computer, so I'll have to add them later.

The next day, we had to wait around for Rene to get off work, so we drove to Grand Rapids, which is close to her house, and spent all day at the Frederick Meijer Sculpture Gardens.  It was fantastic.  I'm including a LOT of photos, here, but I have LOTS more - so if you want to see more, just let me know!

Lily
This is one of Chris' favorite sculptures, called "The Sleeping Man"  It's about  25 feet across.  We were told that  there is day each year when school children dress like this man, bring their pillows, and come and lie down on the ledge around him, and all around, mimicking him.  I think that would be cool to see.

This is one of my favorites - outside the museum entrance.  The spirals create two faces.  I probably could have found a better backdrop - but you get what you get.



You, me, he or she

This arch has no supports except it's own sandstone blocks.   We watched a movie on its creation.
Chris with small American Horse

Chris with Medium American Horse - notice he has a horse on his T-shirt as well.

Chris with full-size American Horse.  This horse was built from Da Vinci's drawing.  It was intended for the city of Milan but the clay model was destroyed in 1499 when French Troops used it for target practice.  Nina Akamu brought it to life again, and made a second casting of it which she donated to Milan.

In the children's sculpture garden, there is a model of the great lakes that the kidlets can play in.

This dragon was part of the children's garden as well.

The CEILING in the cafe is decorated with Chihuly glass flowers!  They range from these purples and blues to reds, oranges and yellows.  Just lovely.


Who doesn't love meerkats?


Giant tulip
It was wonderful to see Rene, and her daughter, Bridget, neither of whom I hadn't seen in four years.  We did practically NOTHING (or rather, nothing practical!) for four days - we swam, played games, chatted, ate and generally had a fantastic time together.  We spent MOST of our time on her back porch!
I taught Bridget how to crochet and she went crazy making can coozies.  She carried it around all weekend and told all her friends, "Look!  I'm Crafty!  Guess what you're getting for Christmas!"

Chris played chess with Brody, Bridget's oldest boy.
Then, since I visited Rene and spent some time with Bridget, I had to spend some time with her other daughter, Liz, who lives in Kettering, Ohio. Just after we arrived, there was a sudden tragedy of a friend and Mark and Noah took off to Michigan, so I didn't get any photos of them.  Liz had to work, so Chris and I were privileged to spend the day with the three beautiful girls!
Clara - age 12

Natalie - age 9

Anna - age 9

All five women!


 We have moved to Cleveland, Ohio, now, at the home of Bill Harter and his wife, Carol.  I haven't even taken any photos of them, yet.  You'll have to wait for next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment